(Guest Post from Ben Rozema at Bestrank.com)
To tap into your maximum search ranking potential it is important to not only focus on optimizing your textual content, but to also optimize other forms of media such as any images, podcasts, or videos. By not optimizing such media, you are losing out on the opportunity to connect with your target audience and gain potential visitors. With that said, here are some tips to bear in mind as you optimize images, podcasts, video, and other media.
Image searching is one of the fastest growing searching practices today with some of the larger search engines, such as Google and Yahoo, even adding image search results within text search result rankings. When optimizing your images, consider the following:
- Use relevant and image specific keywords within your image file name. For instance, BlackDog.jpg is better than 234.jpg.
- Use very descriptive and relevant words for your captions. For example, “Black Labrador Retriever playing in the grass.”
- Try uploading your image to refresh its ranking popularity. Just as with text, you want to constantly add and update; therefore, by uploading your image again after a long period of time, search engine spiders will more likely reevaluate your ranking.
- Larger image sizes have better ranking priority than smaller image sizes.
Now that iPods and other MP3 players are so popular and we have smart phones that can download MP3s, the podcast is one the best new ways to get your information out to the world. And by optimizing your podcast, you improve your chances of actually getting a perspective viewer or listener to download. Here are some things to consider for the best podcast optimization results:
- Use every field to add descriptive content such as description, comments, title, and details.
- Use content specific tags.
- Add a transcription or summary of the information you give in your podcast. This will be helpful for both your viewer and for search engine spiders to page rank.
- Provide clearly visible information for your podcast’s subscription.
Let’s face it. When we are looking for information on the internet, a lot of times we are looking for quick and easy which oftentimes means we would rather not read. Also, we are turning to the internet for entertainment. Video is able to give us all this at the click of a button. However, in order to get those clicks, you will want to consider these easy video search optimization tips:
- Use specific keyword generated title names such as “demonstration-how-to-use-iPhone-maps.mov” instead of something generic like “345-lb.mov”
- Use relevant and optimized content on the video’s loading page. A good way to do this is to either add a summary or transcription of the video content.
- Make sure you place your video in the proper category.
- Include RSS feeds.
- Create a video site map and submit it to Google.
Just as when you optimize content for your site, when you optimize your images, podcasts, videos, and other media, keep in mind that you are not only wanting to attract search engine spiders for a better ranking, but you are also wanting to attract your target audience. With that said, just as you need to make sure you have high quality and relevant content, you also want to make sure you have high quality and relevant images, podcasts, and videos.
Other Posts by Ben Rozema: